Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Beast

I got this new stove last week to speed up my candy making, as neither the hot plate nor the simple four burner stove I had available were of any use. It´s a locally made stove, cost me $100 from a store on the main drag that specializes in metalwork, specifically kitchen equipment. Imported models were over $400. I figured heat is heat.

This thing I call the beast will blast a flame a yard high if you´re not careful when you open her up, it´s really made for cooking 10 gallon pots of stock or soup. I put on my 10 qt. stock pot and can boil 4 quarts of water in under five minutes, or caramelize 2 pounds of sugar in under 5 minutes. It has really speeded up preparation of sugar based fillings and is the closest thing I could find to a candy stove.

No comments: