Friday, November 10, 2006

Bread Baking for Four Year Olds Continued


The bread was punched down about 11:45. I let it sit 15 minutes, then folded it and let it rise again. Here is a photo just before it was going to be baked. Very nice rise, silky feel, looking good. I heated my oven to 400, oops, recipe said 450. I used a 10 qt. Le Creuset pot to bake in, that I preheated as the recipe indicated.

Since I noticed my mistake, I immediately upped the oven to 450 degrees upon putting the bread in. I left it in for 30 minutes at this temperature, then removed the lid and allowed it to go another 15 minutes exactly.

I removed the bread and let it cool. Here's a photo of the finished product. The bread was perfect, with a chewy golden crust, good yeasty tang, and nice irregular crumb with nice pockets of air. This is indeed an excellent method; only next time, I think I'll double the recipe so I get a bigger loaf, since we've already eaten almost half of this one.

No comments: